VIRGINIA BEACH -- Rookies Lauren Brooker, Victoria Ryherd and Sara Yousif all emerged as victors for Virginia Wesleyan College's women's tennis team on Saturday in the Marlins' home opener against North Carolina's Methodist University.
Methodist's depth prevailed however, as the Monarchs (1-1) pulled out a 6-3 non-conference victory at the Everett Tennis Center.
Brooker (Wake Forest, N.C./Raleigh Cardinal Gibbons) was the only double winner for the Marlins (1-3), notching victories in both singles and doubles. She topped MU's Katherine Meindl (Butler, Pa./North Raleigh Christian Academy, N.C.) at No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-1. Brooker also faced Meindl in No. 1 doubles, but teamed with Yousif (Waxhaw, N.C./Charlotte Manus Academy) to bounce Meindl and Laura Baker (Lincolnton, N.C./West Lincoln), 8-3.
Ryherd (El Paso, Texas/Loretto Academy) emerged as the Marlins' other flight winner in a thriller at No. 3, outlasting Isabella Graf (Harrington Park, N.J./Northern Valley Old Tappan) 7-6 (3), 3-6, 11-9.
Virginia Wesleyan competes again Saturday, March 9, against Salisbury University at 11 a.m. and against Roanoke College at 3:30 p.m., both at the Everett Center.
1. Lauren Brooker (VWCW) def. Katherine Meindl (MUW) 6-4, 6-1
2. Laura Baker (MUW) def. Sara Yousif (VWCW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Victoria Ryherd (VWCW) def. Isabella Graf (MUW) 7-6(3), 3-6, 11-9
4. Kelli Shelton (MUW) def. Mia Proctor (VWCW) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Rachel Purser (MUW) def. Hannah Parent (VWCW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Hillary Petruska (MUW) def. Stephanie Bittner (VWCW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Lauren Brooker/Sara Yousif (VWCW) def. Katherine Meindl/Laura Baker (MUW) 8-3
2. Hillary Petruska/Isabella Graf (MUW) def. Victoria Ryherd/Victoria Torres (VWCW) 8-4
3. Kelli Shelton/Emily Talley (MUW) def. Stephanie Bittner/Mia Proctor (VWCW) 8-3