VIRGINIA BEACH -- Rookie Graham Wilson won twice Saturday for the Virginia Wesleyan College Marlins, but it wasn't enough top topple undefeated Methodist University.
The Monarchs (3-0), ranked No. 14 in the South Atlantic Region, posted a 7-2 victory at VWC's Everett Tennis Center in the home opener for the host Marlins.
Wilson (Newport News/Menchville) won a thriller at No. 1 singles, defeating Duncan Miller (Birmingham, Ala./Shades Valley) 7-6 (8), 1-6, 6-2. It was Miller's first loss of the season.
Wilson also won at doubles, teaming with rookie Drew Tomajczyk (Chesterfield/Home schooled) to outlast Taylor Buchholz (Atlanta, Ga./North Gwinett) and Miller 9-7 at the No. 1 position.
Rookie Holden Branham (Lexington/Rockbridge County) turned in a solid effort at No. 6 singles before falling to MU's Max Mancini (Wesfield, N.J./Westfield). Branham won the first set 6-3, but Mancini pulled out the match with consecutive wins, 6-2 and 12-10.
Virginia Wesleyan competes again on Saturday, March 9, hosting Maryland's Salisbury University at 11 a.m. and New Jersey's Drew University at 3 p.m., both at the Everett Center.
1. Graham Wilson (VWCM) def. Duncan Miller (MUMT) 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 6-2
2. Taylor Buchholz (MUMT) def. Drew Tomajczyk (VWCM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Greg Patterson (MUMT) def. Spenser Bullock (VWCM) 6-1, 6-3
4. Teal Howard (MUMT) def. Tyler Searcy (VWCM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Dillon Sullivan (MUMT) def. Lawrence Hunter (VWCM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Max Mancini (MUMT) def. Holden Branham (VWCM) 3-6, 6-2, 12-10
1. Drew Tomajczyk/Graham Wilson (VWCM) def. Taylor Buchholz/Duncan Miller (MUMT) 9-7
2. Robert Clayton/Greg Patterson (MUMT) def. Tyler Searcy/Spenser Bullock (VWCM) 8-4
3. Dillon Sullivan/Lawrence Salmon (MUMT) def. Lawrence Hunter/Adam Owen Ferrari (VWCM) 8-2