Shorthanded Marlins fall to Piedmont
DEMOREST, Ga. - Brian Luke (Virginia Beach, Va./First Colonial)turned in a dominant effort at No. 1 singles, but Piedmont prevailed everywhere else en route to an 8-1 decision over shorthanded Virginia Wesleyan.
The Marlins played the match without two of their top three players. Results of an MRI revealed that No. 3 player Jamie Griffin (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) has been playing with a broken foot. Griffin will sit out the rest of the season. Also, No. 2 player Steven Bond (Petersburg, Va./Matoaca) did not make the trip.
Luke scored a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Piedmont's Moses Das at No. 1 for his fourth straight singles victory. He later teamed with Ryan Sadinski (Chesapeake, Va./Great Bridge) and dropped a narrow 8-6 decision to Das and Patrick Steck at No. 1 doubles.
Sadinski, who previously played No. 4, was competitive playing two spots higher in the lineup against Piedmont in a 6-3, 6-4 loss. Griffin Graves (Middleburg, Va./Middleburg Academy)split sets with Piedmont's Christopher Davidson before dropping the third-set tiebreak. And Graves and Donnie Greathouse (Yorktown, Va./Grafton)came up just short in a 9-8 setback at No. 2 doubles.
"It's tough not having all the guys, but this is a good chance to develop some of the other guys in the lineup," Marlins coach Tom Drabczyk said.
Virginia Wesleyan (5-6) returns to action on Wednesday at LaGrange.
Piedmont 8, Virginia Wesleyan 1
1. Brian Luke (VWC) d. Moses Das (PC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Joel Silverberg (PC) d. Ryan Sadinski (VWC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Patrick Steck (PC) d. Donnie Greathouse (VWC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Christopher Davidson (PC) d. Griffin Graves (VWC), 6-1, 1-6, 10-6
5. Trey Martin (PC) d. Justin Johnson (VWC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Jay Evans (PC) d. Darryl Fountain (VWC), 6-0, 6-4
1. Moses Das/Patrick Steck (PC) d. Ryan Sadinski/Brian Luke (VWC), 8-6
2. Christopher Davidson/Nick Hallberg (PC) d. Griffin Graves/Donnie Greathouse (WVC), 9-8 (4-0)
3. Jay Evans/Joel Silverberg (PC) d. Justin Johnson/Darryl Fountain (VWC) 8-2